To compensate for their dissatisfaction they were given a complimentary dish of gelato ice cream by the management. To cut a long story short, the chocolate ice cream was not what it appeared and it transpires that some inventive member of staff ( allegedly ) creatively served up a frozen turd.
In the mother's words:
"There was no doubting what it was. The whole family became hysterical. My poor son screamed at one of their staff: ‘You made my mum eat poo."’
"The minute I put the spoon to my lips, the stench went through my nostrils. I retched and spat it into the napkin,"
"My friend thought I was over-reacting, but when she smelt it, she started screaming: ‘Oh my god, they’ve served us s—."’
In my day the concern about complaining about a meal or the service ran the risk of a waiter spitting in your food. How times have changed.
I have to admire the foresight and supreme advanced planning to ensure that such a pre-frozen item was ready and available.
The family are now suing the hotel for $1 million in damages, samples have been taken by the Health Department and the material has been verified as excreta. The family are now being DNA tested to eliminate ( pardon the pun) them as passers of said poo.
Now that would be an incredibly clever con-complain vociferously about service in a hotel, assume that you would be given a free dish of ice-cream, pop a pre frozen turd in the dish, scream and retch, collect 1 million dollars.