Thursday, March 19, 2009

just hanging around

Time is dragging at the moment with the frustration of waiting for the move. This is interspersed with periods of wild panic as we start to analyse what we are about to embark upon, and doubt creeps up on us. It is never good to have too much time on your hands.

Next week the current Protea incumbents will be back from their house-hunting trip, and I am sure that once we start learning the ropes the misgivings will disperse. Our worldly possessions are now on a ship bound for Sydney, so soon we will have a container load of furniture and random stuff that we have not set eyes on for 2 years- quite honestly we cannot remember what most of it is, and as 2 out of the 3 houses are fully furnished we have no idea what we are going to do with it all or where we will put it. Having come from a large house I suspect that most of it will be too big to put in the manager's cottage anyway.

Base Camp Ormiston is suffering from a plague of small frogs, so the batrachophobic Ness is constantly in a state of high anxiety. I have to don the gardening gloves and relocate the beasties- I am also doing all the cooking since we discovered 2 of them happily living in our barbecue. We may accidentally be serving frog fricassee if they continue to loiter in all the nooks and crannies.

Serena is undoubtedly a rooster- 'she' has male plumage and small buds are appearing on her legs which look like spurs. What we are planning to do with a large rooster with a penchant for sitting on your lap and an innate mistrust of any other creature with feathers I am not sure, but despite Ness's talk of casseroles I am sticking to my policy of never eating something that I am on first name terms with.

Having a chicken pen next to the van has attracted a resident population of mice, so now we are camping in the middle of the bush surrounded by snake food. Since the large pugnacious brown snake incident I am pretty sure that this is not a very good idea.

To pass the time I have acquired my book on 'Becoming an Australian Citizen' and need to learn the contents before I sit my citizenship exam. Useful stuff like Don Bradman's batting average ( 98.66) and the words of the Australia National Anthem ( 'Advance Australia Fair').

The foxes at Ormiston are getting bolder. Poor Georgie was gutted when her new gander became breakfast last weekend. I am now paranoid about having any free range poultry and Ness is planning a state of the art chicken emporium for our ladies when we move. She is also going to get a gun license and when I see the look in her eye when she talks about hunting foxes and rabbits I know for certain that she has metamorphosed into a rural Aussie and there is no going back.

No comments: