Monday, July 14, 2008

back to the coast

So here we are back at the coast south east of Adelaide.

It appears that Kiwis have some kind of complex neural pathway that, like the tides, is affected by the gravitational pull of the moon because when navigating Ness seems unable to avoid coastal routes and destinations. This was kept in check when we lived in central England and the nearest coastline was at Skegness but has gone into overdrive since we got over here.

It is raining, a constant drizzle and grey skies but at least the gale force winds have abated at the moment. We arrived in Robe and I parked by the sea next to the Information Centre while Ness nipped in to try and get some up to date info regarding recent whale/dolphin sightings and suggested destinations to view them. I looked out to sea and watched 2 adult bottlenosed dolphins and a small juvenile leaping and playing just off shore. I had to rush in and haul her out to verify the sighting before they went, or it would have been dismissed as a figment of my imagination.

A local informed us later that you never see dolphins in that particular bay. I wonder if he ever ventures out.

I have finished my knitting project- the large furry object that started life as a scarf took on a life of its own, and grew and grew. We call it 'garment' and it is a cross between a poncho and a duvet.

No comments: